Staff Housing Caretaker-April 30, 2019
Offering a haven for personal renewal, in the age-old tradition of the Scandinavian baths, where mind and body find peace.
- Authenticity: Being trustworthy and genuine
- Empathy: To be understanding to guest and co-workers needs and goals
- Professionalism: Offering an International-calibre of service and experience
- Exceeding Expectation: Going above and beyond guest expectation
- Keeping it Simple: Avoid over complicating things
- Team Work
- Act as a role model, mentor, resource, and support to employees living in our staff accommodation onsite and our valley housing
- Responsible for creating a safe, respectful environment through the enforcement of the Scandinave Spa Standards
- Staff Housing Caretaker will be required to work between 32-40 hours per week.
- To create a comfortable environment for guests;
- To ensure quality and cleanliness of the site;
- Perform technical duties regarding water quality i.e. chlorine levels, salt levels, etc.
Staff Housing Caretaker Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Read, understand, and model the expectations of employee behavior detailed in the Employee Handbook of the Scandinave Spa Whistler and, policies and procedures.
- Be visible, approachable, and accessible during Staff Housing Caretaker scheduled shifts and associated duties.
- Serve as a positive role model for others at all times; behaving in a manner that exemplifies the values of our staff accommodation and valley housing, maintaining high standards of personal conduct, and understanding that intimate personal relations with Residents are unwise.
- Perform general caretaker services with respect to staff accommodation located on-site at Scandinave Spa as well as valley housing, located within Whistler.
- Perform maintenance and cleaning of common areas and outdoor spaces (i.e. cigarette butts, shoveling snow and ice, salting icy section of the common spaces, garbage, compost and recycling disposal)
- Complete light maintenance (replacing burned out lights, replacing batteries in smoke alarms)
- Prepare rooms/suites for rent including cleaning ovens, painting walls and other deep cleaning tasks and light maintenance
- Ensure all common areas of staff housing remain clean and clutter free at all times
- Perform general caretaking duties with respect to the staff accommodation,
- Supervise the residents of the on-site staff accommodation
- Attend all Staff Housing Caretaker scheduled meetings, including but not limited to:
- A one-hour weekly staff meeting with HR; and
- Regular individual reporting meetings with the HR Coordinator or the Administrator (or designate).
- Attend all Staff Housing Caretaker scheduled training sessions, including but not limited to:
- WCSS training (TBA);
- First Aid training (TBA); and
- Remain in the residence during Staff Housing Caretaker scheduled shifts and/or while ‘on duty.’
- Complete all other duties as required by the Spa Director.
- Complete all assigned administrative tasks, including but not limited to incident reports, person of concern reports, on-call shift reports, maintenance work orders, unit inspection reports, etc.
- Hours of work will be predominantly evenings and weekends (4pm until 10pm * 5 days a week).
Support/Safety in Residence
- Respond to questions and concerns raised by the community in a timely and responsible manner.
- Assist with the resolution of conflicts in the community, such as roommate conflicts.
- Work in co-operation with other staff including but not limited to HR Coordinator, Administrator, Maintenance Manager, Spa Experience and Housekeeping Manager, Spa Director, other residence, employee, and community partners.
- Serve as a liaison between the Residence Staff and management.
- Respond to and provide assistance during residence emergencies or employee crises.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality in regard to resident issues.
- Maintain and update the assigned bulletin board(s), if applicable.
- Hold a meeting once per month designed for discussing community concerns, planned activities, and other issues outlined by the HR Coordinator or Administrator (or designate).
Crisis and Emergency Response
- Report any and all incidents, that in any way concern the Residence that become your knowledge, to HR Coordinator, Administrator or Management in a timely manner (incidents include, but are not limited to, Ambulance, Police, or Fire officials being called to the residence, any breaches of residence rules or illegal acts in residence)
Spa Experience Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Ensure a comfortable environment for guests;
- Knowledge of the entire site:
- Help guide guests around site;
- Answer any questions guests may have regarding the site;
- Assist guests in arriving at correct waiting room for massages;
- Knowledge of all services and products offered at The Scandinave Whistler:
- Be able to explain Bath procedures to guests;
- Any policies of the Spa i.e. Code of Silence;
- Be pro-active NOT reactive i.e. anticipate situations rather than wait for things to go wrong.
- Ensure and maintain cleanliness and quality of entire site:
- Site must be impeccable at all times;
- Cleaning and maintenance of pools and hot tubs at open;
- Continuous monitoring of all areas i.e. solarium, sauna, baths;
- Picking up any towels left behind;
- Keep chairs organized and put in rightful places;
- Perform Technical Duties:
- Ensure quality of all baths, test water samples, temperature and maintain cleanliness;
- Calculate and add chemicals as needed;
- Maintain sauna fire and ambiance fireplaces;
- Ensure cleanliness and order of Locker Rooms:
- Make regular tours of locker rooms to ensure cleanliness;
- Clean up any towels;
- Mirrors are wiped clean of water splatter
- Sinks are free of hair/debris and surrounding areas wiped dry
- Close any shower curtains;
- Ensure tidiness of sink areas;
- Ensure cleanliness in and around toilet areas;
- Empty garbage as needed;
- Refill paper towel, tissues and toilet paper;
- Refill shampoo, conditioner and hand soap dispensers;
- Refill swimsuit bags
- Sweep floors in dry areas of locker rooms;
- Squeegee shower floors and mop excess water
- Mechanical Room Duties:
- Checks the different motors
- Report any problems to Operations Manager
- Parking lot duties:
- Direct guests where to park and hand out parking permits if required;
- Be the first point of contact with the guests when they arrive and inform them of any wait lists;
- Perform Opening and closing procedures;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a building manager
- Resident Manager Certificate – preferred
- Excellent knowledge and comprehension of the Residential Tenancy Act
- Ability to deal with residents in a positive, courteous and respectful manner
- At least 3 years’ experience in monitoring building and mechanical equipment maintenance
- Ability to maintain buildings and facilities and to operate required equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Good computer skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office / email, word & excel effectively
- Experience as a handyperson is an asset
- Valid drivers license with drivers abstract a must
- Access to vehicle an asset
- Prior to the commencement of the term of the contract, each Staff Housing Caretaker candidate must complete the following:
- Independent completion of ‘Standard First Aid’ & CPR Level “C” (must be valid when hired or planning to reserve a course once job is offered)
- Valid Criminal Record Check (will be conducted by HR Coordinator for successful candidates only)